For the most part, the Applications Engineer is responsible for assisting customers in identifying and verifying their needs, and preparing competitive costings / proposals / tenders that are both technically and commercially accurate. Working with both internal and external stakeholders, including Sales and Engineering, the Job Holder will provide support and solutions that match the needs and expectations of customers, improving relationships while increasing the likelihood of winning orders.
For the most part, the Applications Engineer is responsible for assisting customers in identifying and verifying their needs, and preparing competitive costings / proposals / tenders that are both technically and commercially accurate.
Working with both internal and external stakeholders, including Sales and Engineering, the Job Holder will provide support and solutions that match the needs and expectations of customers, improving relationships while increasing the likelihood of winning orders.
Principle Duties & Responsibilities
- Liaises with Sales on the Customer’s requirements and specifications, including the scope, and timing.
- Reviews the RFP (Request for Proposal) / tender document to ensure the contractual requirements are adequately defined and determines the Company’s capability to meet the specified requirements.
- Prepares and submits the techno-commercial offer to Sales as per the offer submission schedule.
- Reviews and evaluates the detailed technical specifications for packaged equipment, extracts applicable Customer requirements and translates / communicates the same to sub-contractors, sub-vendors and internal stakeholders.
- Obtains quotations for relevant bought-in equipment in accordance with the applicable Supply Chain policies and procedures.
- Performs a technical and commercial evaluation of the sub-suppliers quotations (for the major critical components / items) to ensure the quote / scope is in compliance with the Customers requirements / specifications.
- Develops and submits a detailed proposal to the Customer in accordance with the applicable Tendering Policies and Procedures (ITO – Inquiry to Order).
- Ensures the CPQ tender data and tendering front log are accurately completed and actively managed.
- Provides ongoing technical and commercial clarifications as requested by the Customer and internal stakeholders to support successful order placement.
- Provides tendering support to regional tendering and sales teams for win order strategies across the product lines to ensure all activities occur on time and with high quality from proposal receipt to handover.
- Supports with Customer visits during bid clarification / negotiation stages.
- Works as a member of the Global Tendering Team to ensure KPI’s and Metrics are achieved
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Possesses relevant product and application knowledge of Company brands.
- Reads and interprets manufacturing drawings and other technical information. Thinks creatively and has in-depth engineering knowledge to solve problems, provide technical solutions and develop alternatives.
- Responds professionally to all inquiries and remains calm and composed when under pressure.
- Is driven to achieve and maintain high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Is self-motivated, highly organized and methodical. Displays exceptional attention to detail and accuracy, even when handling multiple demands.
- Strives to meet all commitments and has a proven track record of meeting deadlines while maintaining high performance standards.
- Is energetic with a clear sense of urgency and direction and is committed to helping the Company achieve its goals
- Works well within a team and independently, with little supervision, positively establishes relationships across multiple locations and copes well with working remotely from the team and other departments.
- Communicates effectively, effortlessly tailoring the approach to the audience and the level of technical knowledge and understanding. Communicates excellently across multiple cultural and geographic boundaries and time zones.
- Is a team player: committed, reliable, responsible, flexible, helpful, supportive, active listener / communicator.
- Communicates fluently (verbal and written) in English – essential, in Arabic – added advantage
- Possesses a valid Driving Licence converted for use in the Middle East – added advantage
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Business, Marketing, Engineering or related field or commensurate experience in a Commercial/Tendering organization required
- Mid-level, with 2-5 years related experience. Works independently and requires minimal guidance.
- Good knowledge and experience in reviewing highly detailed specifications and writing comprehensive and accurate bids
- Experience or Rotating Equipment/Centrifugal Pumps
- Experience in the oil & gas / power & energy / industrial market – essential
- Experience using Microsoft packages including Word, Excel and PowerPoint as well as SAP, QuickBooks and other technical applications.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by the Employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Required daily to stand, sit, walk, talk, hear, and see (specific close vision abilities are required to perform computer work)
- Required occasionally to stoop, kneel, crouch and crawl
- Required daily to use hands and fingers and arms to reach (to operate a computer and telephone)
- Required occasionally to lift and/or move objects that are light to moderate
Required to travel (usually by air or road so may be required to sit for extended periods)
The following statements are meant to convey the overall kind and amount of work involved in this position.. These obligations, duties, and abilities aren’t meant to be all-inclusive for this position. Additional duties that are not included in this job description may be assigned to employees based on their abilities and experience. Qualified individuals with disabilities can be accommodated in order to execute the fundamental functions of their jobs.