Business Development Manager@Careem posted 3 weeks ago
At Careem we are led by a powerful purpose to simplify and improve lives in the Middle East, North Africa and Pakistan. We're pioneering the development of innovative services to aid the mobility of people, the mobility of things and the mobility of money.
We're in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We’re well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries.
About the team
Careem Grocery is on a mission to reinvent the way people shop for grocery, pharmacy and retail products. As an exciting new vertical within Careem (a startup within a startup), we’re in the early stages of building our product and have plenty of interesting and fundamental challenges to solve in order to achieve our ambitious growth goals in this burgeoning space.
What you'll do
As a BD Manager, you’ll be responsible for sourcing SKUs from various suppliers, while leading negotiations to ensure the best selection and margins possible
We’re looking for someone with food and/or grocery industry experience, ideally in one or more of the following categories: Fresh products, Fruits & Vegetables, packaged food or non-food.
- Build strong relationships with your suppliers and lead negotiations to ensure the best assortment and margins
- Buy and manage assortment by sourcing the best items and brands possible in order to provide the best experience for our customers
- Partner with Category Managers to identify key consumer trends in our business
- Ensure that we have an updated assortment based on the Commercial team recommendations
- Work across categories, with different internal category stakeholders, including food & non food products
- Collaborate with various functions including commercial, supply chain and store operations teams
- Help to create smooth logistical relationships with Supply Chain and Suppliers
What you'll need
Successful candidates will have a passionate commitment to improving the lives of people, an insane focus on excellence and customer centricity, and a strong alignment with our core values and purpose.
- At least 4+ years of experience in the Food or FMCG retail sector in Buying or Category Management . Time spent in tech or a start-up is a plus
- A strong understanding of the Middle East grocery/convenience market – and a willingness to disrupt the way it currently operates
- Experience negotiating with business development partners, FMCG or brand owners. You will be proactively reaching out to brands to build a partnership.
- You are an excellent communicator with any audience with stellar stakeholder management – You can easily explain complex concepts to people of any level
- You never hesitate to roll up your sleeves and address something hands-on, you persevere when others fall away
Where you'll be
- Even though we are working remotely, we are strong believers in collaboration and the power of building social connections with our teams. For that reason, our offices are still open and provide plenty of collaboration-friendly spaces at times when teams need it or if you need a quiet space to work outside of home.
- You’ll be working in the location you’re hired from. Due to legal and compensation considerations, you will need to be based out of the country you’re hired from as your primary work location.
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this. As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organisation
- Work from any country in the world for 60 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day