At Westin, we are dedicated to enhancing our guests’ well-being by delivering a renewing environment, thoughtful amenities, and invigorating programs to ensure that they leave feeling better than when they arrived. We understand that travel can be stressful for our visitors, and we’re excited to work with them as partners to help them keep control and soar above it all while on the road. Everything we do is intended to assist guests in performing at their best, and they enjoy our encouraging attitude, anticipatory service, and vast understanding of how to best assist them throughout their stay. We are searching for dynamic individuals that are eager to join the team and are willing to leap into any scenario to lend a helpful hand. If you’re someone who is cheerful, adaptive, and perceptive, and who genuinely cares about the well-being of those around you, we encourage you to learn how, together, we can rise at Westin.
SUMMARY OF THE JOB
Exhibits culinary abilities by doing chores personally while assisting in the leadership of the workforce and the management of all food-related functions. Works to improve visitor and employee happiness while enhancing financial performance in all areas of responsibility. Assists with the supervision of all culinary areas to ensure the production of a consistent, high-quality product. In charge of directing and developing workers, including direct reports. It is necessary to guarantee that cleanliness and food requirements are met. Overseeing all food preparation areas (e.g., banquets, room service, restaurants, bar/lounge, and employee cafeteria) and all support areas (e.g., dish room and purchasing) as relevant are areas of responsibility.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or GED; 6 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
- 2-year degree from an accredited university in Culinary Arts, Hotel and Restaurant Management, or related major; 4 years experience in the culinary, food and beverage, or related professional area.
Assisting in Leading Kitchen Operations for Property
- Provides direction for all day-to-day operations.
- Understands employee positions well enough to perform duties in employees’ absence or determine appropriate replacement to fill gaps.
- Provides guidance and direction to subordinates, including setting performance standards and monitoring performance.
- Utilizes interpersonal and communication skills to lead, influence, and encourage others; advocates sound financial/business decision making; demonstrates honesty/integrity; leads by example.
- Encourages and builds mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members.
- Serving as a role model to demonstrate appropriate behaviors.
- Ensures property policies are administered fairly and consistently.
- Reviews staffing levels to ensure that guest service, operational needs and financial objectives are met.
- Establishes and maintains open, collaborative relationships with employees and ensures employees do the same within the team.
- Solicits employee feedback, utilizes an \”open door\” policy and reviews employee satisfaction results to identify and address employee problems or concerns.
- Supervises and coordinates activities of cooks and workers engaged in food preparation.
- Demonstrate new cooking techniques and equipment to staff.
Setting and Maintaining Goals for Culinary Function and Activities
- Develops and implements guidelines and control procedures for purchasing and receiving areas.
- Establishes goals including performance goals, budget goals, team goals, etc.
- Communicates the importance of safety procedures, detailing procedure codes, ensuring employee understanding of safety codes, monitoring processes and procedures related to safety.
- Manages department controllable expenses including food cost, supplies, uniforms and equipment.
- Participates in the budgeting process for areas of responsibility.
- Knows and implements the brand’s safety standards.
Ensuring Culinary Standards and Responsibilities are Met
- Provides direction for menu development.
- Monitors the quality of raw and cooked food products to ensure that standards are met.
- Determines how food should be presented, and create decorative food displays.
- Recognizes superior quality products, presentations and flavor.
- Ensures compliance with food handling and sanitation standards.
- Follows proper handling and right temperature of all food products.
- Ensures employees maintain required food handling and sanitation certifications.
- Maintains purchasing, receiving and food storage standards.
- Prepares and cooks foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
Ensuring Exceptional Customer Service
- Provides and supports service behaviors that are above and beyond for customer satisfaction and retention.
- Improves service by communicating and assisting individuals to understand guest needs, providing guidance, feedback, and individual coaching when needed.
- Manages day-to-day operations, ensuring the quality, standards and meeting the expectations of the customers on a daily basis.
- Displays leadership in guest hospitality, exemplifies excellent customer service and creates a positive atmosphere for guest relations.
- Interacts with guests to obtain feedback on product quality and service levels.
- Responds to and handles guest problems and complaints.
- Empowers employees to provide excellent customer service. Establishes guidelines so employees understand expectations and parameters. Ensures employees receive on-going training to understand guest expectations.
- Reviews comment cards, guest satisfaction results and other data to identify areas of improvement.
Managing and Conducting Human Resource Activities
- Identifies the developmental needs of others and coaching, mentoring, or otherwise helping others to improve their knowledge or skills.
- Ensures employees are treated fairly and equitably.
- Trains kitchen associates on the fundamentals of good cooking and excellent plate presentations.
- Administers the performance appraisal process for direct report managers.
- Interacts with the Banquet Chef and Catering department on training regarding food knowledge and menu composition.
- Observes service behaviors of employees and provides feedback to individuals and or managers.
- Manages employee progressive discipline procedures for areas of responsibility.
- Ensures disciplinary procedures and documentation are completed according to Standard and Local Operating Procedures (SOPs and LSOPs) and supports the Peer Review Process.
- Provides information to executive teams, managers and supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Analyzes information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
Marriott International is a non-discriminatory employer. We are committed to employing a diverse workforce and maintaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to nondiscrimination on any protected ground, including disability and veteran status, as well as any other basis covered by relevant legislation.