Job ID 191062
The Head Chef, who reports to the F&B Manager, is responsible for overseeing food supply deliveries, preparing unique meals, and supervising the general kitchen operation. The Head Chef recruits and retains staff, fosters collaboration among team members, maximizes production, and acts as a replacement in the absence of team members. You will instruct employees on new recipes, culinary techniques, and equipment, as well as supervise cooks while they prepare food. To achieve success, you’ll motivate your team to consistently deliver high-quality, cost-effective dishes. The best applicants are innovative, customer-focused, and level-headed.
- Responsible for enhancing the food product that is presented to guests. Make changes that respond to the marketplace and to guests’ needs, both present and anticipated. Recommend changes to the food product. Use market research and pick up global and regional trends of family friendly food to develop new products.
- Responsible for maintaining quality of food product and ensuring consistency in food delivery and standards.
- To ensure operationally that HACCP, DM, Merlin rules for food safety are in place and followed without gap. Communicate any concern immediately with the HACCP in charge, F&B Manager and Hotel Director.
- Responsible for the selection, training and development of the personnel within the department. Oversee divisional matters as they relate to local laws.
- Control the elements that determine profit and loss. Responsible for all major operating expenses. Set margins and manage the business against projections. Make decisions that relate to profit and loss. Responsible for the financial management of the operation.
- Give direction and be responsible for the implementation of plans. Monitor effectiveness and introduce changes in response to the marketplace. Set targets, plan and schedule work and performance indicators that are typically productivity and efficiency measures.
- In addition to performance of the essential functions, this position may be required to perform a combination of the following supportive functions, with the percentage of time performing each function to be solely determined by the manager based upon the particular requirements of the hotel:
- Consult with the F&B Manager, HACCP in charge and Hotel Director on a weekly basis as well as with other departments as necessary.
- Participate in long range planning.
- Participate, support and make recommendations for ongoing hotel programs with continuous improvement in networking.
- Must be able to speak, read, write and understand English language.
- Must be able to read and write to facilitate the communication process.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Most tasks are performed in a team environment with the employee acting as a team leader. There is minimal direct supervision.
- Must possess basic computational ability.
- Must possess basic computer skills.
- Knowledge of computer accounting programs, math skills as well as budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Extensive knowledge of menu development, insight into marketing, cost and wage control.
- Thorough knowledge of food products, standard recipes and proper preparation.
- Ability to analyze, forecast data, and make judgments to ensure proper payroll and production control.
- Ability to supervise large staff and accomplish goals on a timely basis.
- Ability to conduct meetings, menu briefings and maintain communication lines between line staff and Director, Food & Beverage.
- Ability to effectively deal with internal and external customers some of whom will require high levels of patience, tact and diplomacy and collect accurate information to resolve conflicts.
- Ability to create recipes and support material, i.e., recipe cards, descriptions, and pictures, and to read and visualize same.
- Artistic ability to create theme menus and apply knowledge of nutrition requirement, dietary needs and allergies.
- Be proactive in creating ideas for ice carvings, decorations, live cooking etc, all in family friendly manner and for the fun and engagement of the guests.
- Thorough knowledge of UAE, related Municipality / Health & Hygiene rules occupational safety and health.
- Most work tasks are performed indoors. Temperature generally is moderate and controlled by hotel environmental systems; however, must be able to work in extreme temperatures like freezers and kitchens, possibly for one hour or more.
- Must be able to sit at a desk for up to 5 hours per day. Walking and standing are required the rest of the working day. Length of time of these tasks may vary from day to day and task to task.
- Ability to physically handle knives, pots, mirrors, or other display items as well as grasp, lift and carry same from shelves and otherwise transport up to 50 pounds to every area of the kitchen.
- Ability to perform cutting skills on work surfaces, topped with cutting boards, 3 to 4 feet in height (banquet kitchen, prep kitchen, bake shop, etc.). Proper usage and handling of various kitchen machinery to include slicers, buffalo chopper, grinders, mixers, and other kitchen related equipment.
- Ability to physically self-demonstrate culinary techniques, i.e., cutting, cooking principles, plate presentation, safety and sanitation practices.
- Ability to create, build, handle, and dismantle displays up to 8 feet high, including ice carvings.
- The worker is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above the ambient noise level.
- Must be able to exert well-paced ability in limited space and to reach other departments of the hotel on a timely basis.
- Must be able to lift up to 30 lbs. on a regular and continuing basis.
- Must be able to push and pull carts and equipment weighing up to 250 lbs. occasionally
Health & Safety:
You are responsible for all aspects of Health, Safety & Security within your team, in line with the Group Policy (HS001). In particular, you must ensure that risk assessments have been carried out, that safe working procedures are in place for all work activities and that all employees you are responsible for are aware of the Group Health, Safety and Security Policy and their obligations under it. You must ensure that safe working practices are monitored and that risk assessments and procedures are reviewed regularly. Where incidents do occur, you must ensure that they are investigated appropriately and that where necessary, corrective action is taken to ensure that such incidents are not repeated.
Are You a Star?
In order to be qualified for this role you should possess the below criteria:
5 – 7 years of successful culinary experience in a similar position within a comparable hotel/restaurant offering.
Experience managing a team of direct reports with a proven track record of motivating a team to provide an outstanding dining experience.
The Best Part of The Story
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; housing allowance, comprehensive medical coverage, life and accident insurance and other generous allowances.
We also care about your career development supported by Learning opportunities for those seeking a long-term future in the Company.