Head Chef, The Bay@Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group posted 2 weeks ago
Position: Head Chef, The Bay (Full time #529792)
Property / Office: Mandarin Oriental Jumeira, Dubai
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Property / Office: Mandarin Oriental Jumeira, Dubai
Location: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
- It is part of your role to understand and disseminate/communicate all corporate and hotel policies and standard operating procedures to the colleagues.
- MOHG Code of Conduct requires that all business activities and business decisions comply with the general law, and with all rules, regulations and other requirements.
- It is part of your strategy to fully understand and support in all aspects the Mandarin Oriental Jumeira, Dubai Human Resources Strategic Policy.
- It is part of your role and your responsibility to fully support all learning and development activities.
- On the Job trainers and trainings.
- Group Training Technique trainers and trainings.
- Update and maintain a complete Training Matrix for your department.
- Update and maintain Job Description and Job Specification Matrix for your department.
- Ensure the colleagues’ career path and development needs are being prioritised and documented in accordance with the MO Profile online system.
- Hold monthly meetings with all colleagues to assure they have a forum to voice any concerns or challenges and share departmental and hotel information.
- You shall take all reasonable steps to safeguard stored information, and not divulge or otherwise transfer any personal data concerning the guests, customers or colleagues, or any confidential information concerning the hotel unless with the appropriate authority.
- Use of the hotel’s network, computers or internet access which is in the hotel’s view unreasonable or inappropriate, for example gambling, chatroom, or pornographic material, is a serious breach of hotel policy and grounds for summary dismissal.
- Support and adhere to all policies & procedures relating to Safe, Sound and Sustainable at Mandarin Oriental.
- Ensure compliance with the MOHG Social Media Policy, i.e. to be fully responsible for the content you publish on any social media platform, including your personal site.
- Mandarin Oriental Jumeira, Dubai has zero tolerance on all forms of harassment or discrimination, i.e. it is strictly forbidden to discriminate on the basis of gender, disability, including physical or medical condition, race, colour, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, sexual orientation, marital status, or for any other reason.
- Act as a hotel ambassador at all times.
- To carry out any additional duties requested by management, related to hotel operational activities
- Follow the principle of the 5Ps ‘Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance’ at all times and for all activities.
- Oversee all operational and administrative culinary aspects of the restaurant as appropriate and be able to prioritise the required level of engagement in both areas depending on business volumes and other related parameters.
- Create and maintain a great synergy between the restaurant and Main Production Kitchen to assure maximum efficiency.
- Work closely with the respective restaurant manager and executive sous chef to plan menus, prices and promotional events for the Restaurants to maximize revenue generating opportunities in line with market demands.
- Regularly review menus in regard to popularity of dishes, food cost and seasonality with the respective Restaurant Manager and suggest new menu proposals to the Executive Chef.
- Ensure plating guides are up to date and distributed appropriately.
- Ensure that all plating guides are followed according to set dish description, cooking method and presentation image.
- Ensure that all the restaurant cuisines are prepared in the most authentic way as standards set by the Executive Chef.
- Support Restaurant Manager in overview of all IG point of sales related set ups and carry out regular check on accuracy of all items.
- Constantly identify areas for improvement in food and beverage quality by reviewing various quality audit reports, guest comment cards and guest incident reports, and formulate action plans accordingly, also in cooperation with the respective Restaurant Manager.
- Encourage proactive, efficient and effective inter-departmental communication within and beyond the Food and Beverage division to promote a climate of teamwork and enthusiasm.
- Provide leadership, direction and support to all colleagues at any time.
- Train, evaluate and schedule all colleagues in accordance with the applicable standards, policies and as per the overall business requirements.
- Liaise with the Learning & Development Manager on departmental learning and development needs for all colleagues of the restaurants and oversee the overall training activities of the outlets including a heavy involvement in class room training, role plays and on the job trainings.
- Prepare a weekly roster to schedule all colleagues effectively to maintain the standards of Mandarin Oriental while operating within budgeted labour cost guidelines and headcounts, depending on the business volume.
- Observe all aspects of the business forecasts and plan effectively to make most efficient arrangements for manpower, equipment and supplies accordingly.
- Support the Back of House Manager in creating the cleaning and side duty schedules for all positions and ensure compliance and follow through.
- Oversee and follow through the food safety standards set by Mandarin Oriental Jumeira Dubai, Safe & Sound and through the local UAE Municipality rules and regulation.
- Always Supervise the maintenance and cleanliness of the restaurant Kitchens and Stewarding area and carry out daily checks and monthly walk-throughs with the respective stewarding and engineering colleagues. Follow up accordingly on the produced reports to achieve an immaculate environment.
- Ensure proper care, security and maintenance of all hotel equipment through attentive supervision.
- Ensure that all buffet displays are food safe, creative, clean and with attention to detail as per set standards by the Executive Chef.
- Ensure that Mandarin Oriental, Jumeira Dubai’s grooming and appearance standards are always implemented and maintained to reflect an image of professionalism and care.
- Personally follow up with guests where possible or required and show presence in the dining area regularly.
- Personally monitor and follow through on any requirements of VIP guests who are dining in the Restaurants as well as for special dietary requirements.
- Ensure customer satisfaction in accordance to the MOHG Legendary Quality Experiences (LQEs), the MOHG Pillars and the respective service standards of MOQA.
- Constantly drive and motivate the team to create specific WOW moments to surprise and delight guests in the Restaurants in cooperation with the Restaurant manager.
- Communicate rules & regulations to all colleagues by using the Colleague Handbook and any other appropriate documents.
- Conduct counselling and disciplinary action as appropriate in accordance with Mandarin Oriental Jumeira, Dubai’s procedures.
- Conduct daily meetings with the team and provide a regular forum for two-way communication with the whole team.
- Conduct weekly hands on dish training to ensure food knowledge and cooking methods are always up to date.
- Ensure recipe costings are up to date and in line with selling prices.
- Oversee and take full responsibility of all food safety related administration.
- Ensure support is given to the Commissary and Butchery for the daily market list and inventory control.
- Maintain solid records of all holiday and PH clearance and assure none are accumulated within the Kitchen.
- Monitor the monthly P&L and food cost and carry out regular detailed analysis of outlet related financial information including menu engineering.
- Follow all procedures, policies and practices with regard to the Jardine audit related requirements for the Culinary department
- To be updated with the latest food trends in the F&B industry to ensure the outlet Cuisine are in line or ahead of international standards.
- Plan and execute special promotional activities for the outlets and plan for festive season events related to the outlet.
- Attend and participate in all required meetings as scheduled.
- Perform any other reasonable duties as required by the Executive Chef.
Skills & Qualifications
- High School qualification or equivalent.
- Degree or Higher National Diploma in Hospitality/Culinary arts.
- Experienced Head Chef in a high volume restaurant is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience working in a 5-star hotel or free-standing restaurant environment.
- International work experience in at least two of the following regions: Asia, Europe, North America and preferably Middle East.
- Hotel pre-opening or renovation experience is preferred.
- Creative, innovative and thinks outside the box.
- Thorough knowledge of gastronomy; preparing, cooking and presenting dishes.
- Excellent knowledge of using various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and processes.
- Working knowledge of mathematics for recipes, ordering and financial research purposes.
- Solid knowledge of various types of cuisine, specialty and restrictive diets, be allergy sensitive and willing to go above and beyond for both internal and external guests at all times.
- Ability to work long hours with a strong focus on operational excellence.
- Extremely organized and possess a solid administrative capability.
- Proven ability to successfully support, motivate and lead a large and diverse team.
Advertised: 12 May 2022 Arabian Standard Time
Applications close: 30 Jun 2022 Arabian Standard Time