Paralegal, Development MEA@Marriott International, Inc posted 3 weeks ago
Job Number 22096275
Job Category Legal
Location Dubai Development, Central Park Towers Level 12, Dubai, United Arab Emirates, United Arab Emirates VIEW ON MAP
Position Type Management
Located Remotely? N
Marriott International is the world’s largest hotel company, with more brands, more hotels and more opportunities for associates to grow and succeed. We believe a great career is a journey of discovery and exploration. So, we ask, where will your journey take you?
POSITION SUMMARY & SCOPE
This Paralegal position is part of the Dubai practice group of the Law Department and will report to the VP & Assistant General Counsel or VP& Senior Counsel, Development attorney in the team. The position mainly deals with matters relating to Middle East and Africa but may be asked to cover and work with the Europe team. Currently, several attorneys share responsibility for hotel development and development asset management matters in Middle East and Africa and for the data entry and maintenance of the databases, forms, disclosure documents and research with respect to such matters. The paralegal will work on both managed and franchised development matters. In addition, the paralegal will also support the Law Department attorneys on certain asset management matters from time to time. The position will be based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
The Paralegal’s primary responsibilities are:
- Assist attorneys and other paralegals by performing a variety of legal-related projects under limited direction of an attorney, including preparing drafts of management agreements, franchise agreements, disclosure documents, collection and verification of due diligence, coordination with local counsel and internal resources, and reviewing and analyzing legal documents and business communications of moderate degrees of complexity, as more specifically described below.
- Provide direct support to the attorneys and assist other members of the Group in the performance of their duties and responsibilities.
- Interface with development personnel, clients, owners, franchisees, local counsel and their administrative staffs to conduct organizational due diligence and obtain all required information for completion of management and franchise agreements.
- Interface with development personnel, local counsel and their administrative staffs to review letters of intent and terms sheets and prepare and review confidentiality agreements, all with minimal input from attorneys, other than to address non-standard terms.
- Prepare first drafts of management,franchise and residential documents, and in connection therewith utilize form amendments and modification provisions, local counsel memos, and prior negotiated terms with existing owners and franchisees (to the extent applicable); coordinate internal reviews with risk management, IP legal group, and tax; prepare first drafts of negotiated changes to agreements based on guidance from attorneys and the other various disciplines.
- Review and screen comments and requirements from local counsel, clients, owners, franchisees and their counsel.
- Prepare initial draft responses for attorney review.
- Coordinate closing of transactions and manage full and proper execution of documents by authorized Marriott personnel and owners, franchisees (and all other counter parties), coordinate internal powers of attorney and other required authorizations for Marriott personnel and owners, franchisees (and all other counter parties), and ensure executed originals are returned and distributed and filed appropriately, including preparation of closing memos. Coordinate with local counsel and IP legal group for all required post-closing filings.
- Work on various matters that may arise between closing of management and franchise agreements and opening of hotels and residences, such as ownership changes, amendment of agreements, terminations, and various pre-opening matters. As needed, support attorneys with asset management transactions, such as conversions from managed to franchised, renewals of agreements, terminations, and various amendments.
- Undertake special assignments, including research, review, and analysis of contract documentation and other issues, as requested.
- Maintain database for hotels and up-to-date tracking of the status of documents. Maintain current agreements and related agreements and forms, alternatives and samples, disclosure documents, and research using Share Point and Teams sites, and ensure that all of the above and processes maintained on the site are current and accessible. Provide training, assistance and access for both authorized internal personnel and external resources.
- Obtain information and assist in the preparation of franchise disclosure documents for annual update and local law requirements and collateral documents for submission to government authorities.
- Assist in review of financing requests by owners and franchisees and respond to owners, franchisees, lenders, and their counsel, as necessary.
- Respond as necessary to miscellaneous management and franchise development issues.
- Perform related clerical duties as necessary to fulfill responsibilities.
Marriott International is an equal opportunity employer. We believe in hiring a diverse workforce and sustaining an inclusive, people-first culture. We are committed to non-discrimination on any protected basis, such as disability and veteran status, or any other basis covered under applicable law.