Software Engineering Manager- Captain Web Engineering@Careem posted 4 weeks ago
We are in the driving seat as we help to define how technology will shape progress in some of the fastest-growing countries in the world. Our teams are building tech to meet the needs of the future in areas including data and AI, e-commerce, technology-enabled logistics, maps, identity, and fintech.
We're well placed to solve complex and meaningful challenges at scale, with deep tech expertise, strong regulatory relationships, a local presence, and increasingly specialised global teams which are structured to operate as autonomous start-ups. Our team of over 400 engineers and developers are empowered to develop cutting-edge technology every day.
Careem was established in July 2012, became a wholly-owned subsidiary of Uber Technologies, Inc. in January 2020, and today operates in over 100 cities across 12 countries. About the role
We're hiring a Software Engineering Manager in our Dubai or Berlin office to join our geographically distributed Captain Web team. You will help guide our teams in building our next generation platform which will power some of Careem's verticals (Ride Hailing, Food, Groceries and Quik). The platform solves complex business cases across our supply related experiences catering to a wide range of end users such as Captains (drivers), Limo Companies, Franchises, Joint Ventures / Partners, Operations, Care, etc and is a vital component of offering our Captains the best experience.
What you'll do
- Build the Captain Web roadmap and deliver it to our end users.
- Represent your team in engineering discussions with other teams.
- Support the careers of the engineers on your team and ensure their continued development.
- 2+ years of experience as an engineering manager or team lead.
- 6+ years of overall technical experience with one or more of modern JS frameworks: React (preferable), Angular or Vue
- Experience designing and building large scale, distributed applications including making tradeoffs in architecture and functionality in a cloud environment.
- Solid HTML, CSS and JS experience and understanding
- Proficiency in TypeScript and modern JS (ES6+)
- (S)CSS Modules, responsive design and solid UI/UX understanding and best practices
- Experience with one or more of the UI frameworks like Ant Design, Bootstrap, Material Design . Client side state management: Redux, React Context
- Real-time technologies experience: Web Sockets, Socket.IO
- Testing frameworks: Jest, Enzyme, React Testing Lib
- JS ecosystem tooling: webpack, ESLint
- Understanding of how modern browsers work and their limitations
- Client side performance optimizations and best practices
- Background in the supply side of Logistics / Ride Hailing / Food Delivery.
- Experience leading teams in a remote-first environment.
- Experience scaling up engineering teams in a startup environment.
- Have a keen attention to detail and a passion for building great user experiences
- Developing components in isolation using Storybook
- Experience with PWA and service worker
- AWS and front end infrastructure knowledge (S3, CDN, CloudFront)
- Familiarity with CI/CD (we use Jenkins)
- Experience with Node.js and its frameworks (Nest, Express) is a plus
- Docker experience
What we'll provide you
In addition to a competitive long-term total compensation with salary and equity, we have a reward philosophy that expands beyond this.
As a Careem colleague you will be able to:
- Be part of a Remote-First organisation
- Work from any country in the world for 60 days a year
- Use Unlimited Vacation days throughout the year
- Access fitness reimbursements for health activities including: gym, health club and training classes.
- Work and learn from great minds
- Create impact in a region with untapped potential
- Explore new opportunities to learn and grow every day